Thursday, April 29, 2010

On to surgery

I just got home from Jack's opthamologist appt, and the result is that he has to have a very minor surgery on his tear duct. From what I have heard, this is very common. In fact, the doctor said he has already done three of these procedures this year. Basically, he says that Jack was most likely born with a narrow tear duct canal. A lot of babies are born with a clogged tear duct, but he thinks that since Jack's eye didn't start tearing till he was 18 months, his became clogged because it was narrow. The surgery takes place on May 11th. The surgery itself will only be 20 mins. I guess this procedure doesn't normally require anesthesia, but since Jack is so young, there would be no way to keep him still without it. The doctor is going to also put a stint in the canal to keep it open. I am trying to stay positive about this, telling myself that it is very minor. Jack gets to come home that very same day. But he is still my baby, and the thought of him going under anesthesia, breaks my heart. So yeah, I am freaking out a little.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Any time your baby has surgery it's so scary, I'm sure he'll be fine, but good luck!

The Mac said...

I had tubes put in my ear as a child... Same sort of procedure. I can't remember a thing and neither will Jack!

WADDELL FAMILY said...

Im sorry your little guy has to have surgery. I actually had the same thing done when i was 18 months old. My mom said my eye was constantly runny and once i had the surgery was fine. I hope all goes well. Also I wanted to tell you that Carter got MRSA when he was little and still in diapers. He hasn't had an issue since he's been potty traind. My doctor said that washing then in a bleach bath is good because it kills the bacteria. You should try it. It worked for Carter. MRSA is not fun.