Monday, August 31, 2009

Augustus "Gus Gus" Grunchel Chelaru


This weekend started out a little nerve racking. Saturday morning, right before I left for a baby shower we had a little surprise. Gus (our 2 1/2yr old shih tzu) was not feeling well. I came downstairs to see Vic scrubbing the carpet. I guess Gus had a few little accidents of diarrhea w/ blood in it. - I know, a little TMI, but oh well. Vic hurried and took him outside and he continued to go about 4 more times outside. When he finally came in, he just curled up on the couch and was not himself. He would not eat or drink. Of course our Vet was closed since it was the weekend, so we just kept out eye on him and were crossing our fingers that he got it out of his system. He just wanted to sleep all day, so after we took him for a walk after dinner we were invited to our neighbors for a glass of wine. We were gone for only a few hours, and when we walked in the door, the accidents were on the floor again.

By this point we were really getting worried. I went and bathed Jack and put him down for the night, and Vic took Gus to the Animal ER in Sunset. He left at about 10pm and didn't get home until 2am. I guess it is a first come first serve setup at the place, so Vic was good and just waited his turn. After 3 hrs, the Vet finally came in and did a bunch of tests on Gus, drew blood, and had to give an injection. He said Gus's colon was bleeding, and that he needed to go on a strong antibiotic. The vet said that Gus could have picked this up anywhere and it is nothing to worry about, unless he stops eating.

So yesterday, we just watched him all day, and finally around 5pm he started eating again. What a relief. Now today he is starting to get some of his energy back.

I was so worried all weekend. Koopa and Gus are like our other children. We would do anything for them without question. Thank goodness Gruchel is alright!

4 comments:

Just the three of us said...

Glad to hear little Gus Gus is doing better!!

Robin said...

Poor little puppy! I hope he gets all better soon!

Katie said...

Yes, hi, don't title blogs like that please because I thought that that sweet little dog had passed and I almost cried.

Janiel said...

OH poor gus! I hope he is feeling better now. The animal ER can be so pricey!! I've learned a time or too :)