Wahoo! After three hours of jury selection I was excused this morning. It started out with waking up at 6am and getting ready. Apparently, you have to be pretty dressed up for lawyers to question you. All of us potential jurors stood around until 9am -even though our summons said to be there no later than 8am- annoying! Then we were hurded into the courtroom where we were assigned seats. I luckily was seated right behind the lawyers, so I was out of their intense gazes they were giving everyone. We were asked so many personal questions, even about what my spouse's name is and his occupation. I had to tell them how many children I had and what ages. Everyone had to go individually, and it really took almost three hours.
The judge nor the lawyers would give us a clear idea what the hearing would be about, but they asked a lot of questions about if anyone has been sexually assulted or have been robbed.
When the judge finally read the names for the jurors, I was panicing. I really didn't want to have to do this. We were told up front that normally a trial goes for a half day, but for some reason this one was a minimum of two days -and the last day would go until we all came to an agreeing verdict, so if we didn't all agree we could be there until 3am. Lucky for me, I am a mother. Every mother was excused from the stand. I believe almost every juror they selected was male and only two females (both of which didn't have children). On our way out, all of us who were excused got into an elevator and it clicked that we were all the mom's of the group. So, we are guessing the sexually assulted had to have been a child. It makes me sick just to write that. I can't imagine anyone hurting a child.
Now I am jury free for two years, since I went through the selection process. Wahoo!
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment