Thursday, July 28, 2011

Not good....

On Tues my mom and dad packed up and flew back to the Cancer Institute in Arizona.  It was going to be a quick trip, they planned on coming home Thurs.  The first day there my dad had a CAT scan done, and blood work.  He also went to his surgeon's office, where he had an MRI.  The surgeon told my dad the tumor in his right leg has grown and they need to remove it immediately so it doesn't fracture the bone.  This will be the same surgery they preformed on his left leg back in May.  Then when he recovers from that surgery, he has to go back in for the removal of a tumor on his arm and back.  This was the news my mom called me with on Tues.  Although I didn't think it was great news, having my dad going through all these surgeries, I knew this was going to save him pain in the long run (or however length of run he has left.)  My mom told me that they were going to meet with his cancer doctors on Wed to go over the results of the blood work and CAT scan.  His meeting was scheduled for 2, and she would call me first thing with the results.  Well, I was anxiously waiting to hear, and when 3pm came, then 4pm, then 5pm I started to panic.  Both my parents had their cell phones turned off.  I knew something had to be up.  Finally around 6pm, I get a text from my mom saying, "Dad has to start chemo tomorrow, tumors have grown significantly, I want to stay with him, we are rescheduling my flight, I'll call you later."  Talk about feeling like you just got kicked in the gut.  I honestly thought I stopped breathing.  Just 4 weeks ago, when my dad was in AZ, we were told his tumors were stable.  They hadn't grown at all, and now to hear that they have grown significantly?  There are no words.  I also knew I am the one she calls or texts when she can't.  So I knew I had to make the rounds in phone calls and fill everyone else in.  Finally at 7pm, I can't wait any longer and I call her.  She sounded like she was trying to be tough when she told me that the doctors said dad's liver has turned into one giant tumor.   The ones on his lymph nodes have gotten so big, they are pushing down on his pulmonary arteries.  The doctor was actually shocked dad hasn't had trouble breathing.  The tumors on his back have grown as well.  The doctors want to start him on a broad base chemo on Friday, and have him do it every three weeks.  He will be taking a pill and have it done through IV at the same time.  Even though we have been told that chemo wasn't an option up until this point, I think the doctors are at their last resort and are going to try anything to get the tumors to stop growing.  I guess it is better than hearing "there is nothing we can do for you."   At this point mom lost it.  I would be lying if I didn't say I was keeping it together myself.  This was just not the news we were expecting.  I believe my dad is staying strong for my mom.  And he is willing to do anything to fight this uphill battle.  I know since January most of my posts have been about asking my readers to pray and send good thoughts, and I am not going to stop now.  Our family needs them more than ever.  We are all trying to stay strong, but when we hear blows like this, it feels like our strength is starting to crumble.

"but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

No comments: