Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Mother's Nightmare

This last week has been horrible, which is why I have not been able to post lately. Last Tuesday Jack was not himself. He cried all day and was extremely irritable. I could not figure out what was going on except he wasn't sleeping during the day so I told myself it was just from that. Well, Wed came and so did a small little pimple on his chin. All babies get pimples, the only reason why this one caught my attention was because it looked like an adult's infected zit, it was more tinted yellow. Well, he was still extremely irritable all week, and I thought he was starting to teeth. So I looked in his mouth and sure enough he was showing signs of teething, so I went and got some baby oragel and tylenol and he seemed to calm down. Saturday he woke up with that same pimple on his face and would not stop crying. Within an hour of him waking up a small blood blister was growing above the pimple. It was growing so fast that by the time I got out to my parents it was triple the size. I was really getting worried at this point. So, I called the nurse and asked her what I should do, she told me to come in immediatly. By this point I was freaking out, like I am sure all new moms would be. I get to the doctor's and he lanced the pimple and took a culture. By that night, Jack's entire chin swelled up and was oozing thick, green pus. I had a follow up appointment on Mon, so I just kept a warm wash cloth on it and gave him the antibiotics that the doctore prescribed. Sunday comes around and it is even worse. It has spread to under his chin and out past the corner of his mouth. I could tell it was extremely painful for him and the only time I could help get the pus out was when he was asleep. I was keeping him on tylenol around the clock. Monday comes, and it is as bad as ever. I went into the doctor and my pediatrician told me the culture returned and the results were he has MERSA. This is the worst case of staff infection you can get. We have no clue as to how he got it. He could have had it in his system since the hospital, or it could have come from someone holding him after going to the grocery store and not sanitizing. We just have no clue. The pediatrician told me to keep him on the antibiotics plus now I have to scrub it with another medicated soap and then put a salve on it. I had to return today and if it had not improved Jack would have been admitted to the hospital for about two weeks to go on IV therapy. I think I cried more than he did yesterday. I just couldn't get past that my little baby was quite possibly going to have to go the hospital. I came home yesterday and seriously just prayed and cried all day. My mom came over and washed his sores for me. I just could not do it. It was so painful for him and I was hysterical. He cried for over an hour until he fell asleep in my arms. Luckily, he slept through the night which he hasn't done since this whole ordeal started. This morning I seriously ran to his bedroom when he woke and praise the Lord it looked better. There was no more pus and the redness had started to shrink. He has returned to his normal personality to all smiles. When my mom came over to wash it again, I braced myself for another hour of screaming, but instead he smiled and cooed the entire time. I took him to the doctor and thankfully we do not have to admit him. This infection will take about a month to heal, but at least it is getting better. Vic and I, and whoever comes over have to sanatize our hands about every 15 min. This MERSA can spread and we could get it, and then it can bounce back to Jack. It is a very hard bug to get rid of. I will keep everyone posted on what is happening, I do have to bring him back to the doctor on Thurs and about twice a week after that, until it is healed. Thank you everyone that has helped us out especially my mom, Vic's mom and my gma. I don't know what I would do without you guys!

6 comments:

Janiel said...

Wow that is scary! My brother works at a hospital and says that is a real bad disease. I'm glad he is better!

Jaclyn said...

oh my gosh, that is so sad. that makes tate's broken leg seem like nothing. i am so sorry. i really hope he feels better and you guys don't get it. how sad.

The Smith's said...

Holy cow, that is way scary! I hope everything turns out okay... We will keep you guys in our prayers!

Just the three of us said...

That is way scary, I'm glad he is getting better though. Let me know if you need anything!

Robin said...

I am so sorry for you guys! Poor little Jackson. I told Jax that baby Jackson was sick and he is really worried about him. He has such an attachment to your little guy.

Lisa Ellen said...

Christie! OMG! Poor little babies! (Both you and Jack) That is crazy how fast it spread. I can understand how upsetting it must have been. I love the Halloween pics! Mario's mustache is the bomb. Love you!