Friday, August 19, 2011

3yr old checkup!

Today was Jack's 3yr old check up.  It started out ok, but our nurse had zero patience.  Don't know if working with kids is up her alley, but we got everything accomplished with sighs and shown frustration on her part.  Jack weighs 33lbs, putting him exactly in the 50th percentile.  This makes me so happy.  He is not overweight or underweight.  He is 3'3"tall, putting him in the 78th percentile.  No shocker there, he is tall for his age.  He is wearing a size 10.5 shoe, and is in 4T clothing.  After getting his weight and height, he had to have his blood pressure taken.  Oh my goodness, you would have thought we were slowly sawing off his arm.  He HATED this.  He wiggled around so much that she had to take it on the other arm, so his time in the arm cuff multiplied.  After that she gave him a hearing test.  He fought against it at first, but then he did pretty good once he sat still enough to hear the beeps coming though in the earphones, saying "whoa, what was that?"  After the nurse left, the doctor came in.  Saying this kid has personality is a huge understatement.  He kept calling the doctor "doctor".  So he would say "What's this, doctor?"  He did really well with his ears being checked, then actually told the doctor to check his eyes.  The doctor told Jack to open his eyes wide, instead jack squinted and lifted his eyebrows.  Haha.  When the doctor asked to open his mouth and say "ahhh" Jack opened his mouth, but said "awe" like darth vadar.   I couldn't help myself, I started laughing so hard.  When the doctor was done, Jack said "Ok, thank you doctor, bye bye." Then he went and shut the door behind the doctor.  I started laughing again, and could hear the doctor busting up in the hallway.  I am LOVING the age of three....so far.  The one downside of the appt (besides the blood pressure) was having to do the blood work.  Jack did really well even getting his thumb pricked and watching the blood come out, but once the nurse had to pump his thumb to get the blood to flow out, he freaked....big time.  He was crying so hard, his whole face was beet red, he was spitting everywhere.  It broke my heart.  I never want to go through that again.  The nurse had to get an entire vial of blood one drop at a time.  Once she was done, she put a bandaid on, and Jack yelled right in her face "I DON'T LIKE BANDAIDS!!"  That poor nurse.  But as soon as we got to the car, it was all forgotten and he was my happy boy again.  Thank goodness his wellness appts are only once a year now.  I don't think I could handle that very often.  Now he is ready to start preschool in 2weeks!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I just posted Aly's stats from her 4-year-old check up. So funny, Jack is already bigger than she is!