So we are still dealing with Jack's hives. Luckily, for him and us, they don't seem to bother him, so no itching or scratching. This started a little over a week ago, and I brought him to his pediatrician. She took one look, said he had hives and to just put him on benadryl and wait it out. I kind of went a little nuts and was trying to figure out if it was a food allergy. I went through everything he had eaten that was different and took it out of his menu. Nothing changed. So, I thought it could be a milk allergy. About two weeks prior to him having hives, he started vomiting every time he drank whole milk. So, I thought the whole milk was upsetting his stomach and I put him on 2%, and the vomiting stopped. Well, shortly after that he got hives. Although, it just didn't seem to line up. It would be very odd to be allergic to milk when he has had up to 5 cups a day since he was a year. Anyways, this was my thought process during the week. I did take him off milk completely for 3 days, and still he got hives.
I finally decided to bring him into my old work to see Dr. Allen. He told me that every person is likely to get two cases of hives in their lifetime. He said he doesn't think it is food allergy, but that he is having a reaction to a virus. He thinks that when Jack was vomiting two weeks ago, it had nothing to do with the milk and just a normal virus. He also said that it is very common for kids to get hives after their body fights off a virus, and that the hives could last up to 4 weeks. If they last longer than 4 weeks, then we should consult an allergist. (So he is not totally ruling out a food allergy). As a result, we are just giving Jack benadryl every day when he goes down for his nap and then again at bedtime. It seems to keep the hives at bay, but the poor guy is getting them over his face and it makes me soooo sad! I hate seeing them. I hope they go away soon!!!
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment