Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Where to begin....

These last few weeks have been nothing but chaos.  So let me begin two weeks back when I heard about my gma.  She has been having a very hard time eating for the last year.  She either thew it right back up, or could only eat a few bites of food.  The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, and it took a lot of pestering and yelling from my aunts, to get the doctors to take a closer look.  What they found out was, my grandma's stomach had herniated through some muscle and into her chest.  They also found a twisted intestine.  Now if you know my gma, you know she is a pretty tough lady, nothing slows her down.  So, she made it known that this surgery is no big deal, but we knew better.  My gma is in her 70s, and has asthma really bad.  Just putting her under anesthesia is very bad.  She got scheduled for a 4-5hr laproscopy surgery.  So, when Vic and I heard about this, we immediately wanted to go out and be there for her.  That is, until, we found out the price of just one ticket.  We decided to just send me out, and then to make matters even better, Vic's mom offered to pay for my ticket as my Christmas present.  I took off to MN on the 17th of Dec, and stayed through the 23rd.  Well, gma's surgery was initially for the 20th, but right before heading up North, her surgery got bumped to the 22nd.  So my brother called me up, and convinced me I needed to go ice fishing with him and Krista.  Ha ha ha.  After some persuasion, I agreed to go.  I think I ended up being the entertainment, cause I was scared to death of the fish.  But it was honestly fun.  You kind of get into it, when you start catching the fish.  I ended up catching the most and the biggest, although Chad probably felt the same way since I made him bait my hook and take the fish off every time.  After fishing, Chad, Krista, and her folks took me around to the bars.  I guess you don't just go to one out there, you take a tour.  I could not keep up with those guys, and Chad kept making fun of me for asking the bartender to make me a mixed drink they never heard of.  He kept asking me "why can't you be more simple and just order an f'in beer?"  Haha, that is just not how I role.  I wanted to just order wine, but then I think I would have really gotten looks from the natives. 




After driving back to my brother's place, I was able to get out and see all my family.  I adore them all.  I really have the coolest, nicest, and most amazing family I know.  We are always laughing and would do anything for each other.  Wednesday comes and we all drive out for Gma's surgery.  The doctors couldn't believe how many of us were there to support her.  We took up the entire waiting room.  He told us, "she must be pretty special, to have a turn out like this."  She totally is.  Gma rocked her surgery.  The doctors told us she exceeded all expectations, and instead of having to stay in ICU for 5 days, she was able to go home on Christmas morning which was only 3 days.  I have talked with her since coming home, and she sounds amazing.  Still a little sore, but up and moving around already.  She said all she wants is to eat an entire subway sandwich.  Haha.

No comments: