Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A sentence of servitude...

When I was little, I remember all I wanted to be was a mommy. Even when I was a tween, I would dream of the day I had my own child that I could nurture. Same as when I graduated high school, and got married. I always just wanted to be a mommy. I had zero idea of how tough it is. Seriously, my mom, all my aunts, my grandmas made it is look so easy. They always had a clean house, laundry done, prepared food for meals and snacks, planned shopping time, and still one on one time with every child, not to mention countless other things; like: Dr visits, church, gardens, school activities, etc. Boy do I have a new found appreciation for all the "mom's" in my life.
This morning, I woke to Jack whining. I don't know about you, but I HATE waking up to whiny crying. So I get up, throw on my robe and get Jack. He pretty much hates his diaper being changed or anything that will tie him down for longer than 5 seconds. He flipped when I tried to dress him after changing his diaper, and proceeded to cry all the way downstairs and until his milk was warmed. He grabbed his milk, which normally calms him down, and then chucked it across the kitchen. Oh yeah, that one deserved a little spanking. I got him a bowl of cereal, which he wouldn't even look at. I decided to grab his milk, turn on cartoons, and just cuddle with him. Guess what, he calmed down within 2 seconds. All he wanted, was me to wrap my arms around him and hold him. So now I am thinking this is going to be ok, my day is looking up. Haha, nope. I get up to make myself some tea, and all hell broke loose again. He came stomping and yelling into the kitchen and pointed to the cabinet that I have the pancake mix in. I asked if that was what he wanted, and he yells "YES!" Alright, I get the picture. I start making him some pancakes, and the entire time he is yelling and yelling and yelling. Midway through the preparations, he storms over to his chair and demands that I stop what I am doing to pick him up and put him in his booster seat. As soon as I got his pancakes made and cut up with syrup in front of him, he was happy as can be. Yup he is a male. He is happy when he is coddled, cuddled, and fed.
After breakfast, he went and started playing. I looked at the table, saw all the dirty dishes and the food left out and slowly started cleaning. My morning started at 8am, and it is 11am and I am just getting done with breakfast cleaning, and picking up the house. I now get to start lunch. Does it ever end? I feel like all I do all day is serve my son and my husband. Whether is it cleaning, cooking, loving, preparing or just keeping everything and everyone in my house on track...really, does it ever end? I don't think it does. I think this is something every wife and/or mother has had to come to terms with, when they signed up for marriage and motherhood. I guess it is also called becoming an adult. Actually, I think becoming a mother/father is more than just becoming an adult. You have basically just given up your life to serve your child and his or her needs. And, right now as I am writing this, I am looking at my little boy, who is trying so hard to figure out the DVD player on his own, and thinking....I am ok with this, I will cherish and love my life of servitude.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christie, I'm concerned about your terms. It's the philosopher in me so bear with me.

What do you mean when you say "Actually, I think becoming a mother/father is more than just becoming an adult." Are you saying that no one is really an adult until one is a parent? Help me out here, this is a confusion.

Also, I'm really concerned about your usage of "servitude." To me, servitude signifies slavery. This speaks warning bells to me. So what is it that you mean?

Christie said...

Oh Shaun, you are looking too far in to what I am saying. I mostly just ramble on about how I feel at a certain time. I believe we all become adults, but there is just an added responsibility when you become a parent. You have to become very selfless. I agree "servitude" is a harsh way of saying what I was trying to get across, but what I mean is, I run my house -to put it simply. I am always busy doing so much for Jack and Vic and making sure they are happy. Trust me, I am very happy a well. I basically just rambled on about the saying "A mother's work is never done..."

Anonymous said...

Ok, so you're using "servitude" metaphorically. That's a relief. For a while there, I was really worried.

venichhe said...

Beautiful post. I enjoyed reading this. It just gets me thinking of the days ahead when I can be a father. I can just imagine it being so much to do, and I am sure mommy would need daddy around to help out when possible. Yes, I can't wait for those days. I have a blog called 'kids in my cage' its referring to my birds, and sometimes they can be a handful already.