Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Not my day

Today has officially been one of my worst days. Yesterday, I woke up with hives. No clue how I got them cause the last time, and only time, I have had them was when I was pregnant last year. I figured it had to do with the pregnancy and then didn't think anything about it after they went away. I still had some anti-itch cream from before, and figured with that and a heavy dose of benadryl I would be good this morning. So. not. the. case. I woke up to two swollen hands, so swollen that I couldn't make a fist and hives now covering my entire body!! The one good thing was, I use to work at a Dermatology office, called my friend and she told me to just come on in asap. One look over from the PA and I was diagnosed with a severe allergic reaction. He thinks that because it came on so strong it had to of been something I digested. I have never had allergies before in my life -ever! So, of course, I sit and ponder what in the world I have eaten in the last few days that is out of the ordinary. Then it dawns on me...on Sat night we went and ate at my in-laws. I had chicken and potatoes, which is no biggie, but before that I had a bowl of Polenta. It is a type of rice, and I love it, but I have only had it one other time...last year when I was pregnant. So, after a shot in the hip, and a Rx for prednisone I am still blotchy, but the swelling has gone down greatly and I feel a lot better.
Until...I decide to take Jack over to my Gma Kay's house to play out in the yard. She grabbed Jack and I had the diaper bag. And if you know me, you know that inside the diaper bag at all times is a diet coke. Well, I was helping her lay out a blanket for all of us to sit on when the can fell out of my bag and landed right on my swollen foot. Normally, this would have led to maybe a bruise and a few choice words. Not the case today. Instead, after a second, I look down at my foot and there is a perfectly deep slice going across the top of the foot. For a second, it didn't even bleed, cause of how swollen my foot was, but then it came. I hurried to the bathroom and washed it out. I probably should have gone in for stitches, but after two band aids it stopped bleeding and all was good. Untill...Koopa got overly excited when we came home and stomped on it. Yes, people, he reopened the wound and it took another two band aids for it to stop bleeding. Seriously...a can of unopened diet coke did this to me!!! I am now limping and have man hands. My hands, at this time, were still swollen. I felt like that woman on Seinfield who has the "man hands"! But I get Jack upstairs to my room for his afternoon nap. I surround him with pillows on all sides and he falls asleep instantly. I hobble downstairs put a dvd in, put my foot up, and happily relax.
Until...I notice the movie is almost over and Jack is still not making a peep. I am getting a little worried, so I go back upstairs open the door to hear a muffled scream. He has rolled over the pillows and fallen off the side of the bed, and was under my bed when I came in. I cannot even express in words how I feel about this. He could have been seriously hurt, but thank God, he just fell onto a body pillow and a few decorations pillows on my side of the bed and then squirmed off those until he was all the way under the bed. As soon as he saw me, he just started laughing, so I knew he was ok. But, I feel like the worst mom in the world at the moment. Of course, I call my mom in hysterics and she calmed me down like no other person can do. Told me a few stories, and tried to convince me every mom goes through this. This is only one of many falls, scrapes, and bruises to come.
Moral of this long post.
1.Don't eat Polenta
2.Don't carry an unopened Diet Coke in your diaper bag
3.Don't underestimate the craziness of your dog
4.Don't think your child is immune to anything. They will surprise you, good and bad.
5.Don't think twice about calling your mom and letting her console you. She has been there.

3 comments:

The Smith's said...

Moms are the best aren't they?! Don't worry Kaestin fell off my mom's bed when we were at her house once, and down about 14 stairs at my sister-in-laws... It's amazing how durable kids are, and she's right, all moms go through it!!
As for your allergic reaction, I hope things are getting better!

Jessica said...

CHRISTIE!! Oh my gosh! I think I read a book about a day like this called the horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day! Hope things are going better and you are feeling better!!

Robin said...

I am so sorry! What a horrible day! I hope things are better for you now.