Saturday, May 21, 2011

We are back!

Wow, I just managed an entire week alone with my dad, I told my mom I deserved a medal.  Haha, I kid.  Let me just say, on a  normal occurrence he is a stubborn Swede.  Now add on the pain the tumor brought on, the pain of the surgery, and not being able to function without help...yeah, you get a pissed off, impatient and grumpy Swede.  Even after enduring this week, I would do it again for him in a  heartbeat.  He is my dad, and I love him.  On the bright side, I feel like I can now call my self a redneck.  My dad had sole control of the TV, so I had to watch American Chopper, Deadliest Catch, a show about how to catch an alligator (no shirt or teeth required), and how to "Noodle" which is catching catfish by letting them bite your feet.  I am now ready for the end of the world.  :-)
We had to get up this morning by 5, our car was picking us up at 6 to take us to the airport.  We had the BEST service from the employees at Southwest.  They took care of everything for us, helped my dad through security, even helped put his shoes on.  So a big shout out to them.  Once on the plane, we were put in the front row, I thought we would get the row to ourselves.  The flight wasn't full, and everyone had walked past us to other seats.  Well, the very last guy, who was a 300+ cowboy (20lbs goes to his giant cowboy hat) sits right next to my dad and slams down his armrest right on dad's surgery site.  If you know my dad, he will not show pain in front of anyone, unless you are a doctor or family (again, that Swedish pride.)  I looked right at him, and his whole body just shook, but he didn't make one peep.  So I whispered in his eat that I would swap him seats, that way I could protect his bad side.  He opened his eyes, and said "yup, good idea."  The flight was good, only a little bumpy through the clouds, and my mom was waiting for us at baggage.  You could tell she was so relieved we were home.  She wanted so badly to be there for my dad, but just having surgery herself, she couldn't take any more time off of work.
My mom dropped me off first, and I didn't even stop to get my luggage.  I ran into the house and just grabbed Jack in my arms.  I missed my child soooo much.  I can't even describe the feeling I have being home and having him in my arms.  Nothing compares.  I know he had a lot of fun with Nini and Papa Dori, but I will not be letting him out of my sight for a while now!  Haha.  After a big bear hug, he says "ok, mama, outside?"  Yeah right, that is all I get?  Oh well.  So I took him outside and he drug me to the playground.  After getting him back inside, all he wanted to do was "cuddle with mama."  He shoved Vic off the couch, and said, "daddy, move please.  Mama and Jack cuddle."  I know that is not fair for Vic, but it totally melted my heart.  I know my baby missed me.  He wouldn't leave my arms, and when I tried to sit up, he just gripped my one had and my shirt, and said "mama stay with Jack." 
Thank you everyone for your thought and prayers, I know they meant A LOT to my dad and the family.  Every time someone posted on my facebook wall, I would tell him, and he would get a big smile on his face and say, "Oh, for nice."  Every day he is getting better, and able to walk further.  He is hoping in a week, he will be able to pack away his walker.  Now in two weeks, my dad goes back to start radiation at the Cancer Institute.  He will be gone for 2 weeks then.  Then in another couple weeks after he comes home, he goes back again for the same surgery on his other hip plus his shoulder.  The tumors there aren't quite so big, so he is praying it won't be quite so painful.  Keep the good vibes coming!

No comments: