So, recently Jack has started getting separation anxiety. It seems like every day it gets worse and worse. We just got back from MN, and he had it a little, but it seems like this little phase has launched a full on attack since arriving home. I can't even leave the room he is in unless I want to see him scream so hard he starts shaking and coughing. As soon as I am back in the room, he calms down and touches my leg, shoulder, face, hair or whatever and is happy again. WTF!! I think I am going to loose my mind! I can't even take a trip to pee without hearing him go into convulsions. If anyone has been through this and knows what helps please let me know.
On a different note, Jack has started WALKING!! Yesterday, I was walking on my knees behind him holding on to his hips and decided to let go. He walked by himself so far -almost 10 feet! I was in so much shock. We continued to practice walking all afternoon, and as soon as Vic came home guess who decided he didn't want to walk anymore. He literally buckled his legs and planted his booty on the floor. Seriously, kids will make the biggest liars out of you! I am posting some more pictures of the MN trip -enjoy!

3 comments:
Christie,
He's going through a phase. He's starting to realize his environment and slowly figuring out who takes care of him. When the caregiver is gone, there's a sense of separation and he realizes he's all alone. He doesn't like it so he cries. When you come back, the caring comes back so he's back to his normal stasis. At this point, he's starting to realize his individuality. Babies don't see themselves as another "self." They just go through experiences but don't realize that all of these experiences are tied to one individual. So this separation is twofold: (1), he's understanding who he is and who you are and you are the caregiver. No caregiver = separation; (2) he's slowly understanding what it means to be a self, thus gaining a sense of his own individuality.
I would piggyback on what shaunmiller said but I am not a mother, nor do I play one on tv. So I can't pretend to know the whole complex relationship. However, shaun's revelation does match up with the psych class I took in college! :) The only thing I can tell you is that my sister-in-law Cynthia (who you'll meet at the wedding) went through a phase like that. I remember her son getting very anxious, panting, wimpering, etc when she would go out of sight- to the pantry, etc. and then she'd return and he'd be better. So I wouldn't sweat it- Jack is totally normal and so are you! MWA!
Such a cute little john deer hat and truck :)
Post a Comment