Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What a wonderful day for laproscopy...

Well, today has not been the best day of my life by any means, and I wasn't even the one who got cut open.  That pleasant procedure was reserved for my mom.  Back 4wks ago, my mom had her first colonoscopy, where the doctor found a pretty big polyp inside her colon.  He said this had to be removed along with a foot of intestine.  He went on to tell us that the polyp doesn't look cancerous, but he couldn't say for sure till it came back from pathology after the surgery.  The reason he needed to take out the foot of intestine, was because in case it was cancerous, he would get all the bad cells.  My mom stayed tough this morning.  I was on the verge of breaking down a few times, but we tried to keep it light and joking this morning.  No matter the length of the surgery, it was still scary as hell, knowing your mom is under anesthesia and there are no definite outcomes.  She ended up rocking her surgery.  The doctor came out and described everything he did, and said she was just coming to from the anesthesia.  We all couldn't wait to see her when she got to her room.  When they wheeled her in, all I could see was how much pain she was in.  Her whole face was crumpled up.  My mom has a very high pain tolerance (she has been living with neuropathy for 10 years and never complains.)  So, when you see my mom writhing in pain, you know it is excruciating.  For some reason, it was her hip and not the actual wounds that was hurting her.  We don't know if it was the way she was placed on the operating table, or what, but I never want to see her like that again.  Both my dad and I broke down a little.  She was brought to her room around 12:30pm, and when I left at 4pm, the nurses still could not get the pain under control.  She is on morphine plus she has an epidural.  I am heading back to the hospital when Vic comes home tonight, to spend the night with her.  I hope by the time I get back, around 8pm, she will be a little more comfortable.  On a positive note, I have never seen so much support and compassion.  My mom's room is filled with flowers, balloons and get well cards, and this was all within the first hour in her room.  You really see how many people love her, and how many lives she has touched.  I have always been told what a wonderful mom I have.  She is the most caring, sincere, strong, amazing woman I know.  I love you mom!!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Please let her know I'm thinking of her and hope she gets feeling better soon! She's in my prayers.

Janiel said...

Oh I hope she is feeling better! That is major surgery. Keep us posted

ΚΑΛΛΙΘΕΑ ΔΡΑΜΑΣ said...

I hope she is feeling better soon.... :)
patience.......